Old February 23rd 15, 05:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Default Gigabyte SIV (App Center program)

Bill wrote:

I have a new system on a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H board.

I am having trouble configuring fan speed in a convenient way.
It would be very helpful to have "documentation" for the various programs
that come in the "SIV folder" (and some of their inter-dependencies--for
example, what does "prerun.exe" do?). I would like to configure the
program to run at startup (and am "floundering" with that so far). I
have it controlling the fan speed acceptably, at start up, in my admin
account, but not my user account, using the Windows7-Pro-64bit OS. It
seemed to work better (i.e. without prompting me) after I reinstalled my
Norton Security software "on top of it"--rather than the other way
around. Is there a 64-bit version of the app center program?

I think I could do a better job of this if I had more information. The
one page in the
user manual is not sufficient (the app center doesn't even run as
described in the user
manual--I cannot bring up the window shown on page 95 of the manual, for
instance).

Thank you for any assistance!
Bill

Did you check the BIOS Setup screens first ?

Sometimes, you can set up the fans in there, and
never need a Windows (or Linux) program for it.
Look for "Fan Speed Percentage" around page 49 of the manual.

*******

For a free fan control program, there is Speedfan from almico.com.
Maybe that will have better options than SIV. The program is for Windows.

*******

If the SIV application is a Metro tile, it may not have the
best behavior. Apparently, if you're not viewing the Tile window,
the program can suspend itself (go to sleep) for later.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...up-a-metro-app

*******

"I disabled C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\Gigabyte\GBTUpd\PreRun.exe
in the msconfig start menu using CCleaner program."

Prerun looks to be a software updater, that runs at startup.
Just based on "GBTUpd" naming convention alone.

Paul