Old January 1st 11, 09:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

Default Q&D graphics benchmark?

On 12/31/2010 1:20 AM, ~misfit~ wrote:
Hi folks.

I've decided that I *really* have to sort out my collection of crap...
errrr.... my computers and parts. Therefore I'm building as many machines as
I can from my spares collection and taking the rest of the hardware off to
be recycled.

I have a couple of 'integrated' motherboards ranging from PIII to Skt 775 /
C2D. I also have a couple of low-end AGP cards and also two PCI (not 'e')
GeForce 2 / 32MB cards. I'm trying to sort out which systems would benefit
from the PCI cards. Obviously I don't want to put one in a system that has
equal or better integrated graphics.

I was just wondering, dows anyone know of a simple graphics benchmark
utility that I could use to find out which systems would benefit? I have
various '3DMark' programmes but they're all large and, for my porpoises,
overly-complex. Also, as I intend to sell these systems as simple 'internet
/ email' machines I'd rather not install a huge programme that takes 15
minutes to run, then uninstall it. Orphaned .dlls and all that....

So, the question: Can anyone recommend a small, simple and fast graphics
benchmark that would suit my purposes? All machines will be running XP. The
ultimate app for me would be a 'portable' graphics benchmark tool that
doesn't have to be installed, that could be run from a USB stick.

TIA, and happy new year. :-)

To solve this one you don't even really need to benchmark it; the
performance of most Intel integrated graphics chipsets is well known
versus an old stanby like the GF2.

For example; on the P3, I'd bet you have like an i815 or similar type
chipset. That's only about as powerful as an original RivaTNT; so stick
the GF2 in without a doubt (even if it is PCI). Plus it'll have faster
VESA modes anyway.

For the C2D; you might be dealing with the X3100 or something; and
that's a more capable chip that's "almost" DX9 level and still beats the
GF2 in capabilities. Not to mention that you might only have one or two
PCI slots in that board to begin with.

Otherwise the old standby for that generation of graphics cards was
without a doubt 3dMark 2001. It scaled well for CPU speeds, so it was
useful even years later to compare total system performance.