Old January 5th 19, 09:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Why is side left and subwoofer swapped for 7.1 in windows 7 ? BUGBUG !!!

On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 9:06:54 PM UTC+1, Paul wrote:
wrote:
I connected pretty much everything as described he

https://www.creative.com/oem/resourc...rds/sb046x.pdf

And all connections connected to the proper inputs on the denon receiver 1909.

I am not sure about the subwoofer/side left connections.

There are two configurations possibly.

1: Subwoofer sound goes to SIDE LEFT.

2: Swapping them: No sound.

The subwoofer is missing though, perhaps the denon receiver detects this ?

But it's more likely a weird situation in windows 7.

https://documentation.help/Creative-...umentation.pdf

PDF 83 of 93.

7.1 setup, two of the Lineout connectors have a total of *four* contacts.
This requires adapter cables when connected to "ordinary" equipment.

The adapter cable has Gray and Orange on one end, and *three* stereo
females on the other end of the cable assembly.

LineOut1 Green Tip Front Left === Ordinary 1/8" cabling
Ring Front Right
Sleeve Ground

Lineout2 Gray T Rear Left === Special 1/8" TRRS
R Rear Right
R Ground
S Side Right

Lineout3 Orange T Center === Special 1/8" TRRS
R Subwoofer
R Ground
S Side left

No, they don't give a part number.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130627...udio_cable.jpg

If you're preparing home-brew cabling using bits and
pieces, you at least need to buy yourself a couple
TRRS adapters. You need the male with the four contact
surfaces on it. The rest of the materials will be easier
to locate.

https://www.ebay.com/p/3x-3-5mm-TRRS...d=272847465466

If you go to stereo or computer stores, they're not going to
have the exact cable. It's a cable you cannot afford to lose,
as there are so few four-contact plugs around. (Yes, you can
get them from China, but not so easy to get in your own
country at a store.)

The part with the screws on the end, only accepts a
small gauge of wire. I have an adapter with that
screw type on one end, and it isn't that nice to work
with. Having screw terminations means no soldering
is required, but the wires will not be held all that
securely. If you tighten the screw too much, you
can weaken or snap the stripped wire end.

This is the way I would prefer to make the adapters, with
a "1/8th inch soldertail TRRS". When soldering these, you cannot
apply heat for very long (various plastic bits will melt
and deform and stuff will be shorted electrically). I might
reflow some small gauge solid wire to these or something.
It takes practice to not damage these. I made a real mess
of one once, on my first try :-)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-TRRS-3...e/163264363750

You can do the job entirely without solder, using screws and
wires. But it's not really all that much fun. Just finding
solid wire is a challenge. The electronics store doesn't
actually have "good" nickel plated wire any more. That disappeared
about 30 years ago. Only ****ty copper wire with no plated
conductors for easy usage. Stranded wire won't work well
underneath those screws. You'd have to "tin" the wires
to make a surface to screw onto.

I'm not sure the "mis-connections" possible with those
jacks, account for your channel mixup. But it's a common
complaint with Creative stuff. You *have* to be careful!!!

As soon as you say "Creative", I think back to those
stinking cables and what a nuisance they are.

Paul

Why would it be necessary to use special cables ?

The grounds do seem a bit alarming:

https://www.kiwi-electronics.nl/3-5m...-meter?lang=en

But from the looks of it there are at the same cylinders.

Cables like these in the picture above should be fine ?

The only cable which is weird looking is:

4/5/6 on that page 83.

Perhaps using a cable as the kiwi above might cause some kind of ground issue ?

Hmmm...

I will pull it out and repeat the max volume noise test to see if that might be causing the noise on the receiver.

Though keep in mind in the store where I was the tested receiver also produced noise on max volume... so it seems to be normal.

The peep does seem to get a little bit louder when that weirder jack is connected.

But this could just be additional slight signal flow to receiver.

But perhaps you are on to something ?!

But you would have to clearly explain to me why special cables would be necessary and not just the "normal" ones above...

That split these 4 cylinders into 3 rca outs ?!?

I could try and purchase that special creative labs cable... not sure if it would be long enough... and also not sure if it would make any difference... so far I am not terribly convinced... maybe a little bit...

That one ground signal might actually be entering on of the RCA cables.

But the funny thing is... it's not connected to the receiver.

Front Left, Front Right, and Ground.

The ground RCA is simply not connected.

So again I don't think this is a problem at all.. though connecting it might be a bit risky... I did so today... but nothing bad seem to happen

Bye for now,
Skybuck.