Old January 5th 19, 09:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jim[_38_]

Default Advice on BluRay burners and media

On 05/01/2019 17:48, Plasspec wrote:
I was doing what you are talking about until a year ago. Reason I
quit was I went through 3 differnet drives within 4 years. Different
brands and not the low rated ones, and using different media brands.
All would work great for about 11 months and then start burning
coasters 2 out of 10, and get quickly worse. My opinion is that the
tech never fully matured enough. Oh well.

The one redaeming thing was I could use the discs in my bluray player
hooked to the TV and watch downloaded videos on the 50" screen in the
front room.

You should consider doing as I do now; get a USB HDD dock (actually I
have a swap tray on my computer) and look on craigslist or offerup or
even local thrift stores for used harddrives. I see 500gb ones for
very cheap (~$20) quite often. I always check the SMART stuff before
use, and have several that are many years old and still work fine when
I plug them back in.

Oh dear this thread is not going the way i wanted.
I have read elsewhere about problems like this so may stay with DVD for
a little while longer and look at HDD in about 6 months when my new
build will start