Old January 5th 19, 03:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Advice on BluRay burners and media

On Sat, 05 Jan 2019 01:53:40 +0000, Jim
wrote:

I have done some googleing and found a few articles but none mention the
media side of things and was hoping some of you folks could help me out
a bit.

You want CRC datasum checking software to periodically test burnt
media against a source you're backing up. You also want a similar
optical media software checker for evidence of error handling counts
from test writes.

I was using exclusively DVD erasable rewritable, which I still have,
although the price on HDDs came down to where a backup on data
quantities over time constraints, that become unmanageable on DVD,
were affordable on multi-Terabyte HDDs. The transition to BlueRay was
also not unaffected at the same time from HDD pricing.

DVD burner units are as much a quarter of the price of a BlueRay,
depending on your needs. There's reviews for comparing to brand
buying skews from such as Amazon.

The software for testing your backup discs is more involved than a
HDD, as at the very least there will more discs, in the case either,
from one day to the next, ceases to read or quintessentially exist.

You may dollar cost average megabyte per cents for whether an extra
HDD(s) are cost viable at your expected usages. Time constraints, not
so, there may be as much as a factor of, offhand, fifty times longer
to write and verify optical media.

Optical media testing procedures doesn't happen overnight, you'll need
to read and look for solutions. My really old NERO, often featured
and bundled with drives, aren't what drives may be now. But it did at
that point have a better optical test routine.