Old June 29th 03, 08:26 AM
kony

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 07:19:56 +0200, "Zink" wrote:

kony wrote :

Although I do have only an 800 MHZ Athlon and 256 meg of RAM I assume the
slowdown I get in GTA3 is because of a lack of video card performance.

Definitely not the videocard. If you really want to play GTA3 on such an old
pc, you need 1 gb of RAM. Wich should cost much less than a new video card.
The Athlon 800mhz is a bit outdated to play GTA3 too.
A CPu well over 1ghz would be better. I play vice city on
an athlon1200, with 768mb of ram, and a geforce2 MX400 card. Can't say that
it runs smoothly when there are lots of
people around, but it's overall pretty enjoyable.

Anyway I'm debating the need for a DX9 video card.

Well, dx9 cards just have a few more effects in videogames made for dx9.
GTA3 isnt made for dx9 neither is Vice City.
But Half-Life2 probably is. However when you buy a videocard, you should
compare all the bandwidths and fill rates with some other cards. For
instance a Geforce4 4600
has more bandwidth and a higher fill rate than a GeforceFX 5600.

Uhhhhh, i didn't write that, the OP did.

However, it's extremely unusual for any game to need, significantly
benefit from a system having over 512MB of memory.

Dave