Old September 15th 04, 01:08 AM
~misfit~

kony wrote:
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:59:15 +1200, "~misfit~"
wrote:

It may even support a Coppermine with the right slotket,
maybe even Tualatin same as typical BX chipset board would,
except that's probably beyond the capabilities of the
voltage regulator circuit, especially extended use at near
full load, like SETI/etc would cause.

I have a couple of Tualatin's running in Slot-T's in BX boards
already. Great combo.

Yep, it's just that this particular board you have may be
less robustly engineered.

I have no intention of running anything other than the PII 450 in this
board, it was a surprise windfall, I'm happy to have something other than a
socket 7 board as a spare/giveaway.

Maybe just leaving the monitor disconnected & off, then
never allowing OS to shut it off would suffice?

Yeah. I was thinking about giving this to a PC-less family and
wanted it to be as stable as possible.

You might see if it's using ACPI power management, and if
so, revert to APM management, which may require OS reinstall
in addition to whatever other measures needed... don't
remember.

I'll check, I have power management set to user define (from memory) and
everything set to 'never' or 'disabled'.

You might find that other PCChips et al boards' bios would
work, providing the I/O chip and chipset are same (or
perhaps one with BX chipset would work too, unsure about
this. I do think the board was designed to accomodate
either chip, hence the missing 3rd dimm slot when ZX is
used... don't recall the other limitations of ZX vs BX at
the moment.

I take it that PCChips and Atrend are one and the same from this
line of discussion? I know little about them other than to avoid
them (or so I'm told). The one PCChips board I had ran a P200MMX at
250Mhz rock-solid for ages. I've never had an Atrend before.

I think they're loosely related at a minimum, if not rolling
off a parallel line in same factory, just a different name
on them. Of course there's a distinct possibility the board
wouldn't work with a different bios, but i suspect you have
enough spare boards lying around that you could find a way
to reflash the bios prom if necessary.

I don't have any spare working Slot 1 boards. BTW, I tried a different NIC
and it's still the same. I still haven't been able to find a serial mouse to
try so I can pull the USB card. I have one but my parts room, especially for
older parts like that, is *very* disorganised and I have a chronic back
problem, I can't spend long moving boxes etc, before I have to sit down.

I'd like to leave the USB card in though really, a PC without USB isn't much
use these days if one wants to buy a new printer or scanner. (Both cheap
enough to not mess around with second-hand stuff, also second-hand scanners
are quite scarce or over-priced IME).

Cheers mate,
--
~misfit~