Old September 13th 04, 01:10 PM
kony

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:59:15 +1200, "~misfit~"
wrote:

It may even support a Coppermine with the right slotket,
maybe even Tualatin same as typical BX chipset board would,
except that's probably beyond the capabilities of the
voltage regulator circuit, especially extended use at near
full load, like SETI/etc would cause.

I have a couple of Tualatin's running in Slot-T's in BX boards already.
Great combo.

Yep, it's just that this particular board you have may be
less robustly engineered.

Maybe just leaving the monitor disconnected & off, then
never allowing OS to shut it off would suffice?

Yeah. I was thinking about giving this to a PC-less family and wanted it to
be as stable as possible.

You might see if it's using ACPI power management, and if
so, revert to APM management, which may require OS reinstall
in addition to whatever other measures needed... don't
remember.

You might find that other PCChips et al boards' bios would
work, providing the I/O chip and chipset are same (or
perhaps one with BX chipset would work too, unsure about
this. I do think the board was designed to accomodate
either chip, hence the missing 3rd dimm slot when ZX is
used... don't recall the other limitations of ZX vs BX at
the moment.

I take it that PCChips and Atrend are one and the same from this line of
discussion? I know little about them other than to avoid them (or so I'm
told). The one PCChips board I had ran a P200MMX at 250Mhz rock-solid for
ages. I've never had an Atrend before.

I think they're loosely related at a minimum, if not rolling
off a parallel line in same factory, just a different name
on them. Of course there's a distinct possibility the board
wouldn't work with a different bios, but i suspect you have
enough spare boards lying around that you could find a way
to reflash the bios prom if necessary.