Old April 3rd 04, 09:09 PM
Rod Speed

"JT" wrote in message s.com...
On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 10:23:37 -0500, Gary Tait
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 14:19:44 GMT, JT wrote:

On 2 Apr 2004 11:13:57 -0800, (Jason Hunsaker) wrote:

Okay, I know I'm crazy for wanting this, but...

Wanted:
1. SATA bridgeboard for legacy 3.5" floppy drive, or 3.5" SATA 4x
floppy drive.

2. SATA bridgeboard for legacy 5.25" floppy drive, or 5.25" SATA
floppy drive.

3. USB bridgeboard for legacy 5.25" floppy drive (instead of # 2).

I know, I'm only a market of one. But, hey, they make 3.5" USB 4x
floppy drives. I can dream. Plextor announced a 12x SATA DVD+/-RW
drive. I want everything SATA.

I don't want to transfer everything to a hard drive or CD.
I don't care about speed.
I just want connectivity.

Floppy drives, especially 5.25, are not going to be engineered for a new
interface standard. There is NO market or demand for it. Not worth it from
a manufacturing stand point. They are disappearing. 5.25 have already
disappeared from all but dying niche markets. No advantage to have a slow
drive like a floppy on a SATA controller.

JT

But anything you can connect a standard 3.5" PC floppy drive, you can
connect a 5.25" drive to, if you want to work at it.

True enough, but doesn't help with the original question. Floppies are
disappearing. No one is building new interfaces for them. No reason to.
When the floppy interface disappears from the motherboard, don't bother
trying to connect a floppy.

Or have the sense to use USB that will support floppy drives for a while yet.