Old June 26th 16, 12:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
B00ze

Default NVMe M.2 SSD Win7, anyone with experience?

On 2016-06-05 18:36, B00ze wrote:

Good day.

Anyone got experience with booting Win7 on an NVMe drive? There are
hotfixes for it for Win7, anyone used them? I'm also wondering if tools
like MiniTool Partition Wizard (bootable DVD) or TeraByte's BootIt will
work with such a drive...

Thanks.
Best Regards,

Really, no one at all? In a few years NVMe is all there will be; you'd
think /someone/ would be using this at the moment (with Windows 7
preferably). Alright, looks like I'll have to wait - I'm not jumping
into this without some sort of community support, lol.

Best Regards,

If you want to buy me one, I'm OK with that :-)

Paul

Lol :-) They are not so much more expensive than regular SATA SSDs, but
they are 3 to 5 times faster. Newer BIOSes all have support for them.
But then will anything besides Windows work with those? For instance, I
need to partition this before installing Windows, otherwise I'll end-up
with that annoying 500MB boot partition that Windows likes to create to
support BitLocker (which I dont need). Anything based on WinPE Win 8
will not work. My Win7-based DART disk will surely not work, unless I
pipe the HotFix into it (on ToDo list). Also not sure if Linux-based
tools have all been updated (e.g. gPartedEd, PartEdMagic, Minitool
Partition Wizard). And then I like to use BootIt to multi-boot, not sure
if that will work at all. I could always go around the net asking this
question on the forums of every tool I have, but that's kind of a pain...

Thank you.
Best Regards,

--
! _\|/_ Sylvain /
! (o o) Memberavid-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society