Old December 9th 05, 04:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default An open letter to Michael Dell of Dell Computer

"joe_tide" wrote in message
Must be universal.

I went to Sears to buy a new microwave oven 2 weeks ago. After picking the
one I wanted, there were no clerks in the area. There were 5 or 6 about 20
feet away talking. I whistled a few times and some of them looked at me
and went right back to talking.

Eventually someone came to help me (not one of the talkers either). I told
the guy which one I wanted. He asked if I wanted the one with the
stainless steel front. I said I did. He said the stainless ones are $20
extra even though that was the one on the shelf under the price tag. Since
I figured it wasn't worth arguing over $20, even though it was a prime
example of bait & switch, I agreed.

Then he said he would have to walk back to the warehouse to see if any
were in stock. I asked him why he didn't just use the computer in front of
him. He replied that it wasn't working correctly. insert googley faced
emoticon here

I then asked why he didn't just call the warehouse. He said that they
don't usually answer the phone.

That was strike three so I left and bought it somewhere else.

Cripes!

Joe -

Amazing. This falls under the category of "if I have to beg you to take my
money for a purchase, then how will I be treated *after* the purchase should
I have a problem?"

It's a wonder some companies are able to stay in business.

Many years ago, my wife and I went to Target to buy an advertised Minolta
35mm camera. Got there, and (shock, shock) that model was out of stock.
But to my delight, the salesperson offered up a slightly nicer (read: more
expensive model) Minolta they did have in stock for the same price. I was
impressed.

I'm not sure if these stories reflect a corporate philosophy or simply poor
judgment on the part of local store or representative.

In the case of the OP either choice doesn't say much about concern for the
customer, imo.....

Stew