Old December 9th 05, 02:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default An open letter to Michael Dell of Dell Computer

Must be universal.

I went to Sears to buy a new microwave oven 2 weeks ago. After picking the
one I wanted, there were no clerks in the area. There were 5 or 6 about 20
feet away talking. I whistled a few times and some of them looked at me and
went right back to talking.

Eventually someone came to help me (not one of the talkers either). I told
the guy which one I wanted. He asked if I wanted the one with the stainless
steel front. I said I did. He said the stainless ones are $20 extra even
though that was the one on the shelf under the price tag. Since I figured it
wasn't worth arguing over $20, even though it was a prime example of bait &
switch, I agreed.

Then he said he would have to walk back to the warehouse to see if any were
in stock. I asked him why he didn't just use the computer in front of him.
He replied that it wasn't working correctly. insert googley faced emoticon
here

I then asked why he didn't just call the warehouse. He said that they don't
usually answer the phone.

That was strike three so I left and bought it somewhere else.

Cripes!

"Tom Scales" wrote in message

All good points, but my recent experience with Sears was terrible! They
had a lawn mower on sale on the website. Went into the store. Surprise,
didn't have any in stock, but did have a more expensive model. Sales
person went into their system. Not one in all of Central Florida.

Then he shared with me that they had NEVER stocked that model and that
when people asked for it they always pushed the more expensive model.

Tom

"RoxRanger" wrote in message
Unfortunately, I'm inclined to agree with Sparky. Debit transactions are
not as clearly "protected" as credit transactions. However, this doesn't
mean you shouldn't push your bank to get the money back (I believe there
are clear rules about non-delivery of merchanise!).

As an aside, I have long since lost any patience for this kind of
behavior on the part of computer companies. This transaction should be no
more complicated than purchasing a toaster from Sears. If Dell, or any
other computer company suggests otherwise, take your business elsewhere
forever. Computers have long since become commoditized items, and you
should be able to get prompt service without BS.

A suggestion: If there's a reputable computer chain in your area
(Microcenter comes to mind), take the money from your Dell fiasco and go
buy a notebook from them. If anything goes wrong, they'll give you
immediate satisfaction - trust me; I know of what I speak!