Old May 18th 04, 09:49 PM
Roy Coorne

Roland Scheidegger wrote:
soupy wrote:

On Tue, 18 May 2004 00:55:53 +0200, Roy Coorne
wrote:

Registered modules won't work.

Why bother the note when registered modules will work?

Registered modules won't work. I read the note as a warning to the
user to be cautious when buying DIMMs for the P3B-F.

It's odd that Registered DIMMS are supported on the P2B-F, but not the
P3B-F.

Maybe it's because some of the p2b series board are considered more or
less "professional" boards, also used in small servers (p2b-ds at
least), in these applications usually registered ecc ram is used.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure registered ram will work just fine on the p3b-f,
as always you just can't mix registered and unbuffered. Asus tells you
you NEED to use registered ram if you have more than 2 modules on ALL
boards with bx chipset, regardless the board model (that is, of course,
not exactly true neither).
http://www.asuscom.de/support/FAQ/faq094_MBIT.htm

It's funny: This Asus page links to Crucial for an explanation of
'registered', and Crucial informs on the P3B-F: "Module Types
Supported: Unbuffered only".

groups.google.com will tell you the same.

Yes, there are postings about P3B-F boards run with registered DIMMs.
Very strange all that, indeed; didn't Crucial do their homework?

Roy