Old January 22nd 04, 08:06 PM
Mike Richter

Erwin Rol wrote:
Hey all,

My sony Vaio PCG-GRX516MD with a CD-RW/DVD combo-drive (CRX820E 1.5k)
doen't read CD-R discs written by another drive. Both WinXP and Linux can
not "mount" the discs, and CD-writting programs say the discs are empty.
The same discs can be read fine on my other systems (plexor drives). Also
discs created with the sony can be read fine by all drives, including the
sony itself (so it can read CD-R's fine).

It almost looks like some copy protection sceme, where the drive will not
read CD-R's not written by itself. Has anybody seen problems like this ?

The problem is common, particularly with mobile drives. You need to find
a medium which the VAIO's drive likes to read, then use it for discs to
work in that machine.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/