Old September 16th 04, 11:01 PM
John G. Shaw

Look at http://www.gpgpu.org/

John G. Shaw (from home)

Notes:
1. Attachments greater than 100K will be deleted!

"O.B." wrote in message
Newbie question

I have a nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra running with a dual Zeon 3.0 GHz and
Linux Knoppix v3.4. I am curious to see if it would be possible to
offload the CPU by moving some math operations in my program to the
graphics processor on the video card.

For example, assume that I have two matrices, A and B and I want to
multiply them together and store the result in a third matrix, C. Where
for (row=0; rowmaxRows; ++row) {
for (column=0; columnmaxColumns; ++column) {
C[row][column] = A[row][column] * B[row][column]
}
}
Instead of executing this code on the CPU, I want the main program to send
this to the graphics processor for calculation and then return the result
back to the main program.

I have a lot of experience with C/C++ programming, but none in interacting
with a video card. Are there any libraries, published API's, etc
available to help with this endeavor? Tips, comments, links, book
recommendations, etc are greatly welcomed.

Thanks.