Old August 23rd 04, 03:08 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

JK wrote:
Brad wrote:

For the computer knowledgable and savvy people.

Looking to get a new system and the company will be paying for it (
or most of it) so im looking to put together an awesome system that
could make me the king of my block for awhile.....

....so overkill is encouraged.

My current computer cost about $1000 a few years back, so if the
'dream' system runs up to say $6000, i would like to know about. ( i
know one can assemble a system for $20 K so im trying to keep within
reason )

Im asking if some of you hardware informed people may give me your 2
cents on what I could shop for. Even if the component needs to be
specially ordered from the manufacturer because stores rarely carry
it ( perhaps cause its expensive or not in much demand), I still
would like to hear about it. I have a very good understanding of
most components but not as in touch with the highest-end performance
parts

Im thinking something such as:

- Dual ( or even 4 ??) CPU MB

Dual Opteron 250 processors would be nice.

- fast cpu's to fill those multiple slots.
- 1 to 2 gigs ram

2 gigs would be nice.

- the best gaming video card

A 6800 Ultra card would be nice.

You mad?! The X800XT blows it out of the water!

( note that I want to support multiple
monitors..2 hopefully 3 and being able to video input cable tv at
times) - hard drive: running 4, 200gb drives in raid or something
like that.. or whatever gets the fastest speed

Some smaller 10,000 rpm drives for speed, and some 250 gig 7200
rpm drives might be an interesting idea.

All ideas are welcome. thank you
Post thoughts here so others amy share in or email bwps (@) shaw.ca

Here's the system I've just built

ASUS SK8V Deluxe board
FX-55
2GB PC3200 OCZ
X800 Pro (couldn't get the XT)
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
2x75GB 10K Raptors
1x250GB Caviar (all SATA obviously)
Plextor DVD burner (though this will be replaced at the beginning of next
year with one of the new 8.5GB units)
Samsung combi (for convenience and when I need to burn a CD in a hurry -
it's twice as fast as the Plextor)
Coolermaster WaveMaster case
Tagan SilentPower 500W PSU (and it *IS* silent!)
Logitech iTouch combi (Bluetooth)
If you're a gamer (which you obviously are) - the you owe it to yourself to
get a MX700 or MX900 (Bluetooth) - they are the most accurate and most
responsive gaming mice currently available. Coupled with a RatpadzGS (Gaming
Surface) - they will (sorry for the advertising cliche) take your gaming
experience to a whole new level.

Whilst I'm not really a gamer (not in the sense of FPS, flight sims, RTS,
etc) I do play (OK, I guess adventures, RPGs and management don't really
count - I can't wait for /Rollercoaster Tycoon 3/ or /The Sims 2/ for
example).

Just my 2p (inc. VAT)'s worth.

lose his marbles?