Old June 28th 06, 06:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Default Sil 3132 (ASUS P5WD2 prem) compatible with 3112 (GB 8KNXP)?

"Paul" schreef in bericht
In article , "Tom van
Oosterwyck" wrote:

Hi,

My Gigabyte (8KNXP) motherboard died on me yesterday.
I use a 2-disk RAID 0 on the SiL 3112 controller.
This morning I ordered an ASUS P5WD2 Premium as my new mainboard.
Will I have problems using the SiL 3132 controller on the ASUS with my
3112-formatted disks?

If so, is there any solution to salvage my 400GB array?

Thanx,

Tom

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/supportfaq.aspx#q7

"Can I move my functional and current RAID set to another controller?

Yes, you can move a functional RAID set to another Silicon Image
controller running the same type of RAID BIOS and driver and it
will work as a RAID set on the new controller. The controllers
store the meta data that defines and is used to manage the RAID
set on the drives which allows the RAID set to be moved between
controllers and still work. Moving between embedded controllers
and add-in card controllers also works.

For best results when moving a RAID set, use the same type of
controller chip and as close as possible to the same releases of
BIOS, driver, and management tools.

To be safe, also back up any critical data from the RAID set
before moving it, especially if there are differences in controller,
BIOS version or driver version."

That doesn't tell you anything :-(

If you want a PCI card with SIL3112 chip on it, there is one he

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggIma...124-006-02.jpg

Paul

Paul,

Thanx for replying.
Do you think it's safe just to connect the drives to the 3132 and boot up
(the drives are pure data-drives and don't contain the OS)
or would doing that harm the integrity of the array?