Old May 5th 04, 06:21 AM
Stacey

Retreatgal wrote:

Hi

I wondered of anyone could help me here. Maybe someone else has
encountered this problem.

I am fixing an old socket 7, 550mhz pc. It currently uses a PCI video
card
and I purchased a second hand AGP card. When I booted I got the 8 beeps
video card error. I went into BIOS and the primary video adapter is set
for PCI.

The questions a

Does putting in an AGP card whilst the BIOS is configured for PCI cause
these beeps? Rather than a dead AGP card.

You did remove the PCI card right? Most boards this just sets which card if
the primary video -if- you are using two card, it should still work
whatever it's set on.

And if I change the setting to AGP, reboot, and still get the beeps, will
I have any display happening if I put the PCI card back in but before I
reconfigure the BIOS for PCI? Or do I just get a black screen until I
source another AGP card???

You could try changing it and if all else fails, reset the bios to get the
default setting back which is probably PCI. Again I doubt this is the
problem, more likely a dead video card.
--

Stacey