Old September 16th 04, 09:59 AM
philo

mark497 wrote:
Hi,

I have a system with three drives that can boot independently.
It is controlled by a simple drive switcher that does not
require any software or card to work. It is simply a
toggle switch. You shut down, hit a button, and then reboot
into another drive. Two drives have Win98se and the third
drive has XP.

Recently, the first drive with win98se would freeze on the
splash screen. It would boot into safe mode.
I would basically switch to VGA mode and basic video drivers,
and then boot and shutdown a few times in safe mode, and then
it would eventually boot into regular win98se and work for awhile,
then it would freeze again.

The first drive is the only drive that is connected to the internet.
I *never had a problem with the second win98se drive until
lately when it froze in the same way. After booting into safe mode
and then shutting down, it booted ok into regular win98se.

The third drive would boot ok into XP.

I am wondering about the following:

a. is it possible that a virus could get into the computers
bios or some basic file that all drives share to cause this problem?

b. is it possible that there is a bad video card with an intermittent
problem that would cause this problem?

c. is there a diagnostic program where I can test the matrox card?

d. since I saw the second drive demonstrate a similar problem,
can I rule out a software driver? I have booted occasionally into
the second drive only a few times a year, and never had a problem
until recently. I have made no changes to the drive since I had
it set up.

Since the same problem happened with the second drive, which
I rarely ever use, it makes me think that something besides software
is the problem. The 'freeze' occurs at almost the exact same time
on the splash screen.

Thanks,

Mark

try reseating the video card