Old January 17th 10, 10:34 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops,comp.hardware,comp.periphs.scsi,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Roger Mills

Default What kind of 2.5" HD adapter do I need?

Hello,

I decided to replace HD in my laptop. It is HP Pavilion DV2000. I need
some kind of adapter to connect it to my desktop (my desktop have SATA
and IDE drives) to clone the old HD to a new one.
It says my disk is SATA Serial - but I see it is not regular SATA
adapter.
Here are pictures of my HD:
http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.c...s/HP-test1.jpg
http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.c...s/HP-test3.jpg
http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.c...s/HP-test4.jpg

Any idea what kind adapter do I need?

Thanks,

Zalek

Can you not network your laptop and desktop with an ethernet cable?[1] You
can then use Ghost (or equivalent) to make an image of the laptop's old HD
on the desktop - then replace the HD and and clone the image onto the new
one. That's whet I did when I upgraded my laptop's HD.

[You'll need to create a bootable system on a floppy (or other bootable
media recognised by the laptop's BIOS) containing PC-DOS, Ghost.exe and
support for a network connection].

[1] If it's a direct connection, you'll need a crossover cable but it goes
via a hub or wired router, you won't.
--
Cheers,
Roger