Old November 10th 03, 01:52 AM
Rob V

The USB ports on the back are hardwired on the MB.
The ones in the front are combined w/ 2 other inputs into a 10 pin connector
that is smaller than the 5 pin that I have.

I assumed there was a card that will have the 5 pin I need - but I cant find
it.

Any ones that say they have an "internal" usb port - actually has a normal
USB port on the inside of the card.

"kony" wrote in message
On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 16:53:45 GMT, "Rob V" wrote:

Hello,
I just got an internal USB multicard reader - My PC has 4 USB connectors

on
the back + 2 in the front - when I went to install it - the reader has a
flat connector (its a female that accepts 5 prongs) that connects to the

USB
connector on the MB. The problem is - the PC this reader is going on is

low end dell and has no USB connectors on the MB.
Is there a card that I can by to give me the 5 prong connector I need -

or
some adaptor I can get?
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
-Rob

But if your Dell has two USB in front, how can it NOT have front USB
pin-headers?

You bought an OEM box, it isn't meant to be altered. That is one of
the trade-offs being made. It is entirely your burden to figure this
out since Dell won't be accomodating to alter the system in this way.

What is needed is to trace back the wiring harness for the front USB,
determine the pinout, then subsitute individual connector-plugs
instead of the (large connector-block), which will then leave the
front USB pins unused so you can plug the card-reader plug into them,
after also confirming that it's plug has correct wire-positions.

Easiest to just buy a PCI USB card I suppose.