Old October 20th 03, 09:33 AM
mike

Saml wrote:
I'm considering getting a second 80 gb hard drive just for backup. (Circuit
City has a WD today for $69.99.)

Currently all I have is Win XP, but I may create a Linux partition one of
these days.

PowerQuest's Drive Image 7 and Symantec's Ghost are two names I'm familar
with, though not the details of their products. I used PowerQuest's
Partition Magic a couple of years ago on Win 98 and was happy with what it
did.

Anyone got a recommendation for software to use?

There are several things to consider.

Does it work with the operating system you have or want?

Does it image the WHOLE drive or just the USED part of the drive.
If you have a big drive with low percentage use, this can make a BIG
difference.

Does it compress? Not an issue if you're backing up mp3s. Can make
a BIG difference if you have a lot of small uncompressed files,
like in windows.

Can you restore only PART of the backup. Restoring the whole image
will mess up everything you've changed since the last backup.
Stated another way, there's a difference between "backup" and "disaster
recovery". Make sure you're doing what you think you're doing.

I use Ghost 5.1d on win98 because it does all of the above. But it's
not compatible with XP and one of the major reasons I won't upgrade to
XP...well... except for all the other crap XP puts you thru.

mike

laptops and parts Test Equipment
4in/400Wout ham linear amp.
Honda CB-125S
400cc Dirt Bike 2003 miles $550
Police Scanner, Color LCD overhead projector
Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser