Old January 25th 04, 05:27 PM
Timothy Daniels

What makes an 80-wire cable a Cable Select cable
or not a Cable Select cable?

*TimDaniels*

"Edward J. Neth" wrote:
The new cable has the same 40 pins as the old one -
but has 80 wires. Unless your system is older than
a Dimension 4100, it already has an 80-wire 40-pin
cable. If not, and you use the new one, chances are
you will need to rejumper the drives as master and slave,
since the new cable probably is not a cable-select cable.

"Roy" had written:
Just bought a Maxtor 80 gig ATA drive to act as a
secondary drive to my existing Deskstar. Apparently
I have to use a 80 - pin UDMA cable for this drive.
My present drive uses a 40 pin cable. Will I be able
to fit the 80 pin cable in place of the 40 pin one and
use cable select on both drives