Old January 25th 04, 05:11 PM
See signature below

I got a Western Digital 80 for my older Dell R400. Not sure how the
mounting is in your computer, but Dell used a custom built 40 wire IDE
cable. There was no way to make the standard IDE cable that came with
the drive to plug in to both drives due to physical position of the
drives to one another. I ended up using wire ties to hold the new
drive next to the the existing one. I don't think I had to do
anything about the Master/Slave jumpers and just configured as Cable
Select, but I don't remember.

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 12:21:01 GMT, "Edward J. Neth"
wrote:

The new cable has the same 40 pins as the old one - but has 80 wires.
Unless your system is older than a Dimension 4100, it already has an 80-wire
40-pin cable. If not, and you use the new one, chances are you will need to
rejumper the drives as master and slave, since the new cable probably is not
a cable-select cable.

"Roy" wrote in message
. ..
Just bought a Maxtor 80 gig ATA drive to act as a secondary drive to my
existing Deskstar. Apparently I have to use a 80 - pin UDMA cable for this
drive. My present drive uses a 40 pin cable. Will I be able to fit the 80
pin cable in place of the 40 pin one and use cable select on both drives

You know what to do: shdb at slip dot net