Old January 25th 04, 12:21 PM
Edward J. Neth

Default IDE Cable

The new cable has the same 40 pins as the old one - but has 80 wires.
Unless your system is older than a Dimension 4100, it already has an 80-wire
40-pin cable. If not, and you use the new one, chances are you will need to
rejumper the drives as master and slave, since the new cable probably is not
a cable-select cable.

"Roy" wrote in message
Just bought a Maxtor 80 gig ATA drive to act as a secondary drive to my
existing Deskstar. Apparently I have to use a 80 - pin UDMA cable for this
drive. My present drive uses a 40 pin cable. Will I be able to fit the 80
pin cable in place of the 40 pin one and use cable select on both drives