Old January 15th 04, 07:01 PM
Harvey Gratt

O.K, the first set of questions/answers is as follows (pretty basic
stuff, but I'm new to this):
Dear Harvey,

Thank you for interest in Acronis software!

I have placed my answers inline.

- Sat Jan 10 02:01:21 2004]:

I have several questions regarding this product and cannot get your
sales team to call me.

1. Can disk/partition images which are created and stored on a backup
medium (say an external USB disk drive) be treated as a "file" and

moved
to different locations (folders) and/or disk drives?

Yes. But you will have to move all image archvie volumes (files).

2. Does the bootable CD have support for USB drives (i.e., are there
some form of drivers for USB that are placed on the bootable CD)?

Yes.

3. What is needed to get USB support without the OS having to be

loaded?
Specifically:
a. Does the motherboard BIOS have to have firmware drivers for USB, or
is this on the bootable CD or both?
b. For win98se and win xp pro, what are the hardware/BIOS requirements
to enable an image restoration at boot time (without a minimal OS

having
to be installed)?

Nothing special is required. Acronis True Image bootable media is based
on Linux that has its own USB drivers.

4. Will an Acronis disk image copy hidden partitions such as the XP
recovery partition on some IBM Thinkpad laptops?

Yes.

You can purchase Acronis True Image at http://www.acronis.com/sales/online

-- Sincerely yours, Dennis Dementiev
Note that I'm not sure about the answer for being able to see hidden
partitions, specifically the hidden OS recovery partion on an IBM R40
Thinkpad (there have been other threads on this).

Also, they have responded to a follow question about boot time
availability of a USB2 PC Card adaptor for a DELL I7500 laptop
(win98se). They said that since the USB drivers are on their bootable
CD, I should have access to my external HDD via the PC Card at boot time
(no need to load a minimaal OS).

Harvey

Rod Speed wrote:

So what were their answers ?

"Harvey Gratt" wrote in message news:L7ANb.74427$I06.328352@attbi_s01...

I just received an email from Acronis tech support answering my
questions. I feel better now.

Harvey

Matt wrote:

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:51:01 GMT, Harvey Gratt
wrote:

I am also interested in the Acronis True Image 7.0 product. Have you had
any luck in getting answers from their sales and/or tech people?

My email to Acronis support below represents the extent of my contact
with Acronis. (Note that my original email has embedded web links
that the text below does not show.) I just sent this note a few
seconds ago, and have only received an automated response back. If I
remember to do it (no guarantees), I'll post back here if I get a
human followup.

-Matt

Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:39:31 -0600
From: Matt
Subject: Create bootable DVD with system reload image?

Can I create bootable DVD image write disks that can "refresh"/reload
a system using TrueImage (any version)?

I want to copy TrueImage image files to a DVD that I can make bootable
such that I insert the DVD into a system, reboot, and the system
automatically and with no human input required (except for maybe a
"verify system reload" confirmation button) reset the designated
partition back to the state of the image.

Norton seems to have some docs (see the link here) on how to make this
(at least for a CD) using Ghost 2003. Can similar process happen with
TrueImage?

TrueImage claims DVD writing...but can it handle my above scenario
requirements?

I have also started this usenet thread asking about this, so far, the
one response I have thinks that there is no means to do this.

-Matt
--
Remove the obvious text (including the dash) to email me.