Old February 25th 05, 10:25 PM
Paul

In article , "ColBlip"
wrote:

Hello, Paul!
You wrote on Fri, 25 Feb 2005 07:15:25 -0500:

I can see I should have been more specific on the MB - it is a
A7V8X. Does that present a problem your advice?

Thanks.

ColBlip.
E-mail:

You identified your motherboard in the subject line, and
I responded based on that. Try searching in Google
for some other opinions - using "A7V8x two sticks"
as search terms, I get about 198 hits.

You can play with Vdimm a bit (2.75V) if the memory shows
errors in memtest86.

Paul

P In article , "ColBlip"
P wrote:

?? I have a Corsair 512mb PC-3200 (Cas2.5) stick in the first DIMM slot.
?? I would like to increase the ram to 1Gig. Can I add a PC-2700 (Cas2.5)
?? 512MB stick in the second DIMM slot and achieve this without a
?? problem?
??
?? I'm looking at cheap, i.e. generic (Rosewill) for the 2nd stick. My
?? board is slightly O/C'ed (10% maybe).
??
?? Thanks.
??
?? ColBlip.
?? E-mail:

??
P You can mix and match DIMMs on a single channel board. The BIOS
P is supposed to find the slowest stick and set the timings
P based on that. (Sometimes this doesn't work out as planned, and
P then what you try, is swapping the two sticks. If the sticks
P were in slot 1 and slot 3, try moving 1--3 and 3--1.)

P The best slots for two DIMMs are slot 1 and slot 3.

P Your motherboard has a limit of two double sided sticks at
P PC2700 rates. That doesn't mean you are forced to buy PC2700
P memory, it just means that the BIOS setting should be DDR333
P for the two stick case. Two PC3200 sticks could be used, as
P they are backward compatible with the PC2700, PC2100, PC1600
P rates. (The only time this isn't possible, is when using a
P microATX motherboard that has no manual DIMM settings in the
P BIOS. There are motherboards that will read the SPD and set
P the clock too high, and the motherboard will be forever
P unstable. As long as your motherboard has DIMM clock and
P timing adjustments, a pair of PC3200 sticks can be
P "dialled down" to PC2700.)

P Paul

News==----
Newsgroups