Old July 25th 06, 12:56 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
HockeyTownUSA

Default Merged AMD-ATI monster embarks on monopoly-busting

"EDM" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Quaestor" wrote in message
AirRaid wrote:

http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33230

I just want to know, does this mean I will have to go with intel to keep
using nvidia?

With Conroe being the platform of choice for the foreseeable
future, a better question is, why would you want to go with
AMD in the first place?

If ATI's shareholders approve this, they have rocks for brains.

Why is Intel the platform of choice? While I agree it seems they have the
performance crown for now, AMD is still a good bargain, and will probably be
cheaper than an equivalent Intel counterpart so AMD will win the
price/performance war. I just picked up an AM2 4600+ for $249 shipped to my
door.

The thing that boggles my mind is that AMD opted to ditch the 1MB L2 Cache
versions in favor of the 512KB. While I know this will just simplify the
product line, and the 1MB cache gave marginal increases in speed, if nothing
else, for marketing reasons, 1MB still looks better than 512KB when compared
with Conroe's 2MB and 4MB cache. I know AMD did it for cost reasons, but not
sure if it was a very wise choice.

Anyhow, guess I'll have to live with the "underdog" for a couple years now
that I've got it.