Old September 22nd 05, 11:37 PM
Dragoncarer

"farmuse" wrote in message
Alexander Hecht wrote:

"vellu" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Mr. Brian Allen kirjoitti:

Should I go with a 6600gt 128mb, or a regular 6800 128mb? Playing
games like BIA, WOW, and Chaos Theory on an AMD 3000+ with a gig of
RAM.

As far as Tomshardwares VGA Chart Summer 2005 (PCIE) is conserned, the
6600GT 128 MB outperformed the 6800 256MB in every single benchmark they
ran. In some quite significantly.

The 6800 however might be overclockable to improve it's performance
beyond the 6600GT.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...524/index.html

Did you link to an article that you didn't even read?
The 6800 is faster than the 6600GT at defaults...

one advantage of the 6800 is unlocking the additional 4 pipes, mine
worked fine afterwards but having some issue overclocking it, still I
think the 6800 is a better card.

IMHO you should never, not ever, no never, buy a card based so heavily on
its OC capabilities. Not to mention voiding all warranty if you do OC - and
the sort of OC we're talking about here, which would include flashing the
bios to a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT VERSION OF THE CARD will without a doubt
score you no brownie points with the manufactuerer - aside from this, you
won't know if it will even work! And you could result in nothing more than a
smoking puddle of plastic.

No, you should never buy based on OC. Good OC potential is an added bonus.
If you really want/ need the extra power that hardcore OCing will give you,
then you're better off saving for an extra few months and buying the actual
better card.

IMHO, of course.