Old October 5th 04, 02:40 PM
PurSpyk!!

Hi

I don't believe it is the power supply.

I have a generic psu that came with my case rated at 300w, my GeForce 6800
GT (LeadTek) is overclocked to 420, 1150 on stock cooling.

I have a P4 3.4, 1MB RAM, 2 western digital hard drivers, USB scanner (gets
power through USB cable), DVD rom, CD writer, 19" monitor.

I have no problems running Far Cry or Doom 3 all at max settings. The card
does get quite hot though, Summer has just started here in Cape Town, South
Africa.

"Chip" wrote in message
"jahindie" wrote in message
om...
Ok here is the deal. I have a Nvidia 6800 GT. Most of the time it is
overclocked. I would say at 380/100. Standard is 350/100 which is not
much. So lately while playing recent video games such as call of duty,
doom 3, CS:CZ. I've been getting some really weird graphical issues.
Little specs of artifacting. Little to much at one time. I have
recently uploaded the hell that is SP2 for XP. I am wondering what I
can do to fix things. Here are my specs

"Little specs" are nearly always video memory errors. I think this is
occurring because the voltage supply to the memory is sagging, and this is
happening because at 380MHz, the GPU is drawing more current and pulling the
Vdimm voltage down a little.

300w is the recommended spec for a 6800GT, but *only* if you are not going
to overclock it. If you plan to increase the speed, then the power supply
requirements go up. Since you have a 350w PSU, I would say that is the most
likely cause of the problem.

You could try a VGA Silencer, but its really the wrong solution. You are
not overclocking your ram, so you shouldn't have to change the heatsink just
to get the ram to work at stock speeds. The ram is failing because of power
issues, not heat issues.

Chip