Old September 17th 03, 09:23 PM
Bratboy

"Lenny" wrote in message

I would assume JPEG compression
removes an even amount of all colors, right?

Well, assuming every pixel in the image was identical, that would be the
case yeah. Since the two driver versions do not produce the same output
that's not exactly the case.

well since he is comparing the very SAME frame on both drivers seeing a
reduction in colors on the newer version of drivers does seem to indicate,
at least to me, that there is some adjusting down of color display in the
new drivers to help up its general scores. And your right in the comment
that the 2 drivers are not producing the same output, which is what some are
concerned with hehe. Whether tweaking the drivers to down sample number of
colors to improve speed would fall into the "real optimizations" or another
undisclosed cheat I have no idea. Have seen a fair number of posts and
articles discussing that yes you do get a bit more performance out of 51's
but their also saying IQ has dropped again. If that is the case then it
would seem Nvidia is once again jerking ppl around about how good its stuff
is when in fact what their doing is reducing their quality to claim
performance. I loved all my nvidia cards Riva 128,lightspeed128 TnT2 GF3 but
when I got a fx5200 I wanted to puke. Sent that back got a 5600 ultra and at
same time recieved a 9800 as a gift so compared both and decided to put the
ATI in my main computer and the FX is in a box I rarely ever use. Maybe next
gen of chips Ill come back IF nvidia gets its act together and starts
sticking with industry standards so that the cards can be relyed on once
more.