Old February 24th 09, 06:16 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Default Do SD/MMC memory slots need driver updates to read SDHC memory cards?

ken wrote:
I have just purchased a Canon digitalcamera. I have an 8GB HP SD High
Capacity memory card that I have used but with some problems. Like
the 32MB card that came with the camera, the 8 GB memory card is
formatted in RAW.

When I remove the 8 GB SDHC card from the camera and put it into my 3
year old laptop, the card is recognized in but not any files on the
disk. In Explorer there is a Removable SD/MMC drive assignment, but
when I click on the drive, I receive a message that the drive is not
accessible and that the network resource type is not correct. When I
check Properties, it shows 0 bytes!! Yet, when I put the card in a
USB receiver and look at it in Explorer, then the card is recognized
as 8 GB and the picture files are shown, as well as the appropriate
directories..! I am trying to figure if it is an issue with the
operating system, the SD HC memory card, or the computer SD/MMC slot.

Does anyone have any info?

Thats a very common result when the laptop card reader
cant handle cards bigger than it was designed to handle.