Old November 28th 04, 10:22 PM
Beowulf

M. B. wrote:
I currently have a BFG 5900 FX Ultra graphics card, and it runs pretty
quitely.

I am considering UPGRADING to the --

PNY nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT 256 MB card

How "noisy" is it? Anyone with comments?

I'm not sure of the noise, but I wouldn't buy PNY for other reasons. In
my experience with 2 cards (G4 ti4200 and ti4800), the build quality is
lacking and the image quality is only fair. I gave up overclocking ages
ago. The 4200 blew out some capacitors and power transistors.

My PC not just for gaming (I wish!) but for other "office" tasks as
well. The 2D desktop images aren't too crisp - a bit blurry with grayish
horizontal streaks with black text on white.. This is on the same
monitor that was driven with a Hercules Geforce256 DDR - text,
constrast, black/white levels were crisp.

PNY sells cheap if you are short on cash; I recommend paying the extra
$$ for a better brand.