Old January 2nd 18, 12:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

Default "Ethical" Printer?

On 1/2/2018 12:13 AM, ~misfit~ wrote:
I've just junked yet another inkjet printer for parts (PSU mainly) and, as
with the last one I see that there is more ink in the silicone tubes that go
to the waste sponge and dried into the sponge itself than ever went onto
paper during the ~2 years and ~3 sets of carts.

How do they get away with this? It was a Canon FWIW. I'm very not-rich and
only need to print maybe once a month or so, usually text-only (but
'documents' often have colour borders etc.).

Any suggestions for something affordable that will likely be good in the
medium / long term? (I strongly dislike built-in obsolescence.)

All the best for 2018 to the people reading this group. Sorry if this post
is OT for this group.

Spend a bit more and buy a color laser printer for everyday use.

I have a Brother HL-3170CDW which wasn't expensive. It even saves paper by
printing on both sides when I want it to. I'll admit that the color output
is not gallery-quality but it works for almost everything and I still have
an elderly Epson 5-color for when I just must have a glossy photo printout.