Old May 9th 17, 11:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

Default Conclusion

On 05/08/2017 08:21 PM, philo wrote:
I was given a 5Tb external drive that cause the machine to lock up.
The woman who brought it to me is running Win10

I am going to have her take the drive to a lab.

Though I have used data recovery software in the past with success, this
drive seems too defective to use it.

A Windows machine soon locks up and when I try to access the drive from
Linux gparted does not even see it.

Her data is way too important for me to fool with.

BTW: The drive failed the day after I gave her a lecture about backing up!

The last person to work on her computer returned it to her with no drive
letter assigned to the internal drive where she did her backups