Old October 1st 15, 11:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,nl.comp.hardware
Paul

Default (Repaired) Toshiba Laptop Satellite L670 performing poorly (NoHD Speed Information ?!? Weird IBM stuff)

Skybuck Flying wrote:
My impression was the harddisk was limited to just 10 MegaByte/sec. It
was
even far worse than this. Only a couple of kilobytes.

I tried to research what the original speed was of the harddisk of this
toshiba model.

However toshiba REFUSES to publishize there harddisks speeds properly
! The
only give out crap like: rounds per minute and other useless crap.

"
Unless you provide the computer's serial# Toshiba can't tell you what
disk is in it. Toshiba uses it's own hard drives, but which model was
put into your computer depends on the build order and the date it was
assembled.
"

Sounds like a scam to me !

Not all toshiba products of the same model are built equal ?!

This cannot possibly be serious ?!

Class-action lawsuit anybody ?!

If you have a backup image of the OS partition while
the original hard drive was in the computer, the model
number of the hard drive might still be stored in a
registry file in there.

To test that, try entering the hard drive model number
from your own computer in Regedit, and see if it is
recorded in there.

For example, in my copy of WinXP, the list of hard drives
that have been used in the OS is under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\DeviceClasses\{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}

If the OS is ever reinstalled, historical information
in there will be lost. Thus, you'd have to scrounge through
a backup image to find such evidence.

Paul