Old October 1st 15, 11:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Default (Repaired) Toshiba Laptop Satellite L670 performing poorly (No HD Speed Information ?!? Weird IBM stuff)

My impression was the harddisk was limited to just 10 MegaByte/sec. It was
even far worse than this. Only a couple of kilobytes.

I tried to research what the original speed was of the harddisk of this
toshiba model.

However toshiba REFUSES to publishize there harddisks speeds properly ! The
only give out crap like: rounds per minute and other useless crap.

"
Unless you provide the computer's serial# Toshiba can't tell you what
disk is in it. Toshiba uses it's own hard drives, but which model was
put into your computer depends on the build order and the date it was
assembled.
"

Sounds like a scam to me !

Not all toshiba products of the same model are built equal ?!

This cannot possibly be serious ?!

Class-action lawsuit anybody ?!

"
Find out what model disk you have and look up its specs directly.
"

First of all who the **** would I know what model disk is inside of it ?

Especially now that it is possibly replaced ?!

Second of all I already looked up direct specs and it mentions nothing about
bytes/sec read or bytes/sec write.

So your advice is 100% bogus.

Try it yourself.

If you can find me even 1 spec that mentions bytes/sec read or byte/sec
write then you'd not be a total dick or clueless noob.

Perhaps a slow harddisk was put back in. I will find out the thruth some
day, hopefully some people one the internet/usenet can help with that.

"
There hasn't been a 10MB/s hard disk since ~1990.
"

How the hell would you know.

Did you ever look at a toshiba spec ?!

It doesn't contain this kind of information !

"
Something else is wrong.
"

Yeah it's you.. you are clueless just like every other review site that
completely misses this detail.

This is not the first time I have seen review sites completely miss the
obvious.

So far they have missed:

1. Overheating problems.
2. The GTX 970 RAM memory scam.

As far as I am concerned review sites are to be taken with a grain of salt
and are nearly useless, they don't even test it long term.
Though some of the info can still be nice but it is far from complete.

"The disk may be physically damaged and
trying to compensate with retries and error correction."

Possibly but highly unlikely.

"Or there may be some systemic software problem - malware or crudware, or
misconfiguration."

Possibly... slow world of warships installer.

Though rest of system was performance slow as well with no clear indication
what was causing it.

Perhaps just slow disk.

Bye,
Skybuck.