Old February 23rd 04, 02:47 AM
Kenneth Sibley

"news.directlink.net" wrote in
message
I apparently have a defective JNI FC64-1063-MC-EMC
controller because it always reports LINK DOWN and I
see continuous messages in the log stating "Tachyon
Hung - Resetting". Needless to say, the card won't
communicate with anything. I chose the JNI because
it appeared to be the most commonly used link between a
Sun w/ Sbus and a Clariion DPER on an FC5700. Now I see
that JNI has been bought out by a company called AMCC.
That usually happens to under-performing companies.
I've been told that Emulex is equal to Qlogic and quite
possibly better - they seem to be the Cadillac of Fibre
Channel HBA's. I also see that the Emulex LP8000S is a
common choice given my hardware. Anyone have a
preference? The JNI's are certainly cheaper and
plentiful so I'd really like to know if there's real
issues with JNI or if I just had bad luck with my first
one. Any help is appreciated.

Charles McCane
Dallas, TX.

We use the JNI cards exclusively for our SBUS systems as
there were not many choices 2 years ago when we put them in.
We tried the Emulex SBUS for use with StorageTek disks, but
could not get them to work so we went back to the JNI cards.
Using them successfully for 2 years in an E4500 for disk and
tape.

We use Qlogic, JNI and Emulex for PCI, but exclusively
Emulex for 2Gb in our disk SANs. The others are tape
only.

Ken Sibley

Addison, TX