Old February 22nd 04, 03:59 PM
news.directlink.net

Default JNI or Emulex for 1G Fibre Channel HBA?

I apparently have a defective JNI FC64-1063-MC-EMC controller because it
always reports LINK DOWN and I see continuous messages in the log stating
"Tachyon Hung - Resetting". Needless to say, the card won't communicate with
anything.
I chose the JNI because it appeared to be the most commonly used link
between a Sun w/ Sbus and a Clariion DPER on an FC5700. Now I see that JNI
has been bought out by a company called AMCC. That usually happens to
under-performing companies. I've been told that Emulex is equal to Qlogic
and quite possibly better - they seem to be the Cadillac of Fibre Channel
HBA's. I also see that the Emulex LP8000S is a common choice given my
hardware. Anyone have a preference? The JNI's are certainly cheaper and
plentiful so I'd really like to know if there's real issues with JNI or if I
just had bad luck with my first one. Any help is appreciated.

Charles McCane
Dallas, TX.