Old October 12th 03, 03:54 AM
sb

Yep, already had the latest Hyperion 4 drivers and the latest bios. I stay
on top of that stuff, but good call! Thanks.

I think I probably will reinstall XP fresh and see what that does. Because
at this point it has not been worth the cost of the card and I was thinking
of returning it and sitting on my GeForce 3 for a while. Also, I ran the
3DMark03 benchmark and it wouldn't even complete the benchmark - got an
error saying benchmark aborted!

"Joe727" wrote in message

"sb" wrote in message
Hey, just wanted to say thanks to everyone who gave me info/advice when

posted about wanting to finally switching from nVida to ATI, as well as

the
people who responded to my post about buying the 9800 and got a TNT2 m64
inside! Anyway, it looks like maybe the opposite has happened now? I was
able to get the ATI Radeon 9800 at Circuit City and they gave it to me

for
the BB sale price of $239. When I installed it and checked out the

settings, it says...
Adapter Type: RADEON 9800 PRO
Chip Type: RADEON 9800 AGP (0x4E48)
DAC Type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Memory Size: 128 MB
Adapter String: RADEON 9800 PRO
Bios Information: BK-ATI VER008.004.008.18

Is this a PRO card? Sure looks like it, but I definitely bought the

non-pro
9800 (at least according to the box).

Also, I've noticed two issues so far...first issue is that I played Halo

and
there is big performance loss compared to the Geforce 3 that I just

switched
out. All I did was uninstall my Detonator 51.75 drivers, shut down the

pc
and put in the 9800 and installed the latest catalyst drivers that I
downloaded (3.7, I believe?). I have anti aliasing and anisotropic

filtering
set to the lowest setting. I didn't really mess with the driver settings
after installing them. Anyone know how a Geforce 3 would be

outperforming
the 9800 in Halo? Are there any guides to what you should set the ATI
drivers to? I've been used to the Detonators for like the last 4 yrs or

so.

Second issue, while I was playing Halo, the system shut down HARD. I had

unplug the motherboard power connector and reconnect it to get it to

even
come back on. Box says I should have a 300 watt PSU and I do. Here's
currently what I have in the system...

Antec 300 PSU
Epox 8KHA+ MB
Athlon XP 1.4
512MB PC2100 ram
2 Maxtor 40 gig ATA133 HDs
Sony 32X burner
LiteOn 16x DVD drive
SB Audigy sound card (have the audigy drive but it is not plugged in)
PCI ethernet card

Hey, thanks again for all the help/info/advice. You guys are awesome!

A couple of things - you have a VIA chipset so update the chipset drivers.
The latest are the Hyperion 4 in 1 4.49 drivers available he

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

You might want to check the Epox site to see if there is a newer BIOS for
your motherboard than the one you have now.

Joe