Old October 22nd 05, 10:21 AM
deimos

Default Is GeForce 6800 (128 MB) enough for the latest and upcoming games?

wrote:
I have a dilemma. Right now, I am using an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (AIW; 128 MB). I have had for two
years. These days, the card cannot handle new games like Call of Duty 2, City of Villains,
F.E.A.R, etc. This is with 1152x864/1024x768 resolution with most/all graphic options enabled/at
maximum (no FSAA).

If I were to get a NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (128 MB; AGP 8x), will my system be able to handle this
graphic setup. I am not plannig to upgrade my CPU, motherboard (AGP only) and RAM until next
year or later than that. I am hoping this 6800 model will last that long before I have to
upgrade again.

You can see my primary/gaming sysstem specifications at:
http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm.../computers.txt ... Thank you in advance.

Wow, that's the first time I've seen somebody list their system specs in
full paragraph form... but onto business...

First I think your system itself is more than adequate; a good Athlon 64
can handle those games easily. But I'm surprised that your ATI isn't
fairing better.

I'm running a XP2500 w/ a 6600GT and I can easily run CoD2 and FEAR at
max settings in 1024x768 and get a good framerate. Quake 4 runs like a
dream at a constant 60fps. And supposedly the 6600GT is just a bit
better than a 9800Pro, but maybe that's only in older games. In any
event I'm happy with it.

But I think it might be a shame to go with only a 6800 vanilla on your
system. I've seen many good deals on 6800GT's with rebates and
everything on Newegg lately. That should be way more than adequate any
new game.

Your future upgrade prospects include a 7800GT or maybe an unreleased
GS. They should come down in price within a year and be very
competetive. A faster Athlon 64 might not hurt either.