Old February 2nd 05, 11:33 PM
Don Burnette

Ed wrote:
On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:28:41 -0000, "Chip"
wrote:

"Ed" wrote in message

fwiw, I got the best temps by putting no more then about 3/4 of a
BB's worth of paste right in the center of the CPU, then put the
heatsink on and lock it down. The temps were higher when I spread
the paste out over the whole top of the CPU. (2 - MSI /Clawhammer
systems)

Ed

How much higher, Ed?

I can see that you could get a thinner layer of AS if you use the
"3/4 of a bb" method. But how much difference did it make?

Chip

Well the one PC (3000+ clawhammer OC'd 200MHz) die temp dropped about
10C running Prime95 max heat test, the other PC (claw 3400+ no OCing)
dropped about 5C.

One CPU got ripped right out of the socket when I went to re-do the
paste (paste was spread over whole top), it's still working though. ;p

Ed

Funny you mention that. I first used the Arctic Silver3, and spread a layer
across the chip's surface. When my temps were going through the roof, I
cleaned it off and tried the paste. When that didn't work, I pulled my cpu
out of the socket as well - stuff was like glue. It bent some pins on my 939
processor, and had to carefully bend back to get the cpu to drop in the
socket again. Luckily, seems to be fine. I used a thin smooth layer across
the surface. I still think my temps could be better, I may try the bb trick
to see if that is better.

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."