Old February 2nd 05, 03:01 AM
Don Burnette

Michael Brown wrote:
Don Burnette wrote:
[...]
Just installed the latest version of core center, and my temp dropped
immediately by about 8c,

This is why the absolute value given by motherboard temperature
monitors are useless. The reading you get depends much more on things
like BIOS revision, monitoring program, board variations, etc than
actual CPU temperature. *Relative* readings are useful (keep
everything the same but change fans, does it get hotter or colder?)
but absolute readings don't mean much ("nyeh nyeh my setup runs
cooler than yours nyeh nyeh" - yeah, right). If it's stable (Prime95)
and not overvolted significantly, then it's not getting hot enough to
be damaged so there's nothing to worry about.
Of course, if you are doing serious overvolting and/or subzero
cooling, then things change, but if you're that serious about things
then you a) know what you're doing and b) know that there is an
signficant chance that you will damage/kill your CPU and are not
worried by this.
[...]

I agree. I always overclock my systems, and had not started so yet on this
one due to the temps being reported. However, I will say, I must have not
had the heatsink mounted on good, or the arctic silver 3 not on properly, as
I was experiencing overheating when I first assembled. This is about the 5th
build for me, and first time I had this problem. I even changed to the
thermal paste provided with the XP90 Thermalrite, yuk - stuff was like glue,
bent some cpu pins when trying to remove the heatsink - the gluish effect
probably because of the heat.

Cleaned everything off, carefully applied a thin layer of arctic silver 3,
and carefully mounted and matched the XP90 to the cpu. Much better!

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."