Old February 2nd 05, 02:22 AM
Don Burnette

Don Burnette wrote:
I just completed upgrading to an Athlon 3500 90nm winchester core,
with an MSI Neo2 Platinum mb this past weekend.

I got the oem processor, along with a Thermalrite XP90 heatsink,
with a 80mm ( i think) fan.
I used Arctic Silver 3.

My cpu temp as reported by corecenter, and in the bios, idles around
46-48C, and gets into low 50's under load. System temp is 25C.
This is the first time in my many system upgrades that I have had a
heat problem. My Athlon XP 2800+, overclocked to 3200+, idled
around 36c and only got to app 42c under load. I have also noticed
even at idle, the temp can vary 3-5 degrees C very quickly, which I
find unusual.

I am concerned about these temps. I am not overclocking the system
yet, running all at stock ( 11x200). My case cooling is good, I
have it in a Lian Li pc-75 full tower case, which came equipped with
2 cooling fans in front, and two in back. At this time, I do not
have Cool N Quite enabled. My cpu fan is turning at 3800 rpm.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of
the way of the man that's doing it."

Core Center except for the latest version is not accurate. The lastest
version on the MSI website also will read high CPU temps but will give
a better reading after a warm reboot. If your system temp is 25 I
would suspect that your load CPU temp is in the high 30's or lower
40's. At this time my temps are 35-39 with stock cooling with both
Core Center and MBM.

Thanks, I will try out the latest version. I booted up just now after
getting home, and it immediately showed 45C - I know that can't be right
from a cold boot up.

I tried installing MBM yesterday and kept getting an error message, I
figured maybe it did not work with this mb, will try again as I prefer it.

Thanks,