Old October 24th 04, 07:44 PM
Russell W. Barnes

Thanks.

I might just upgrade, owing to the fact that when I (eventually) get a new
PC, my daughters will get this one - and they'll be playing games on it!

--
Regds,

Russell W. B.
http://www.huttonrow.co.uk

Please replace appropriate text with punctuation when replying by Email!

"HH" wrote in message
A usually safe bet on Presario processor upgrades is to look at what the

top
model in the series has. In your case that model in the 5WV2X series is

the
5WV297, which has a Socket A 950 Athlon. This would be a reasonably
effective upgrade for your 700 Duron, due to the larger L1 and L2 cache

the
Athlon supports. As for any jumpers, look inside your computer case for a
label showing the location of and settings for different processors.
HH

"Russell W. Barnes" russell dot barnes at huttonrow dot co dot uk wrote

in
message ...
What's the fastest processor I can fit into my Presario 5000 PC (Model

No:
5WV254, currently fitted with an AMD Duron 700 MHz processor, and 448 Mb
of
RAM)?

Would a more up-to-date processor enhance performance to any appreciable
degree? I don't do games, just office stuff, photo-editing, audio CD
creation, that sort of thing, though I might be burning DVD's when I get

DVD writer... If fitting an upgrade CPU would be beneficial, would the
BIOS
sort things out automatically (there isn't a lot of scope to do things
manually on my BIOS), are there links need swapping, or is it just a

case
of
plug-it-in-and-switch-it-on?