Old July 16th 03, 01:18 AM
Shepİ

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:26:46 -0700, In this world we created "Mario"
wrote :

I'm running Windows 98 (Not Second Edition) and have already tried your
first solution, but I don't know how to disable the APM :-(

On booting the system it will usually tell you what key to press to
enter,"Setup".On my system it's the keyboard Delete key.This gets you
into the BIOS.Then there is usually a Power Management Section in the
BIOS where you can disable the APM.Only do this and then take the
option to Save changes and let it re-boot

Shepİ wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:05:54 -0700, In this world we created "Mario"
wrote :

I recently installed a Verto NVIDIA Geforce4 MX 440 on my computer, games
run very well and all graphical processes are fast. However, we have an
Energy Star Monitor that turns itself off after a while and, with my old
graphics card, worked fine. Sometimes when the monitor turns itself off,

can move the mouse, and everything works fine. This is usually when only

short time has passed(1-5 min.) or when a long time has passed (12 hours

+).
The rest of the time, it a "This Program has Performed an Illegal

Operation"
message box shows up on my screen. The program it says has performed an
illegal operation is "Science" which is the name of my screensaver (comes
with windows). I turned my screensaver off, and the next time it had
problems, the screen went completely black. So, the problem doesn't seem

be with my screensaver, but instead with the Energy Star stuff. I don't

want
to turn this off, because I like to save energy, and, I don't want to

have
to turn my computer off every time I leave the room, either.
Thanx for the help!

You don't say what operating system but try,
Control Panel/Display/Settings/Advanced/Monitor and disable the,"Reset
Display on suspend/resume.
Also disable the APM(Advanced Power Management) in the BIOS as it's
not needed on most windows machines and can conflict with Window's
Power Management.
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,