Old July 15th 03, 06:20 PM
Nick Le Lievre

"Nick Le Lievre" wrote in message
-
I had this problem with my system it is a hardware problem but it doesn`t
always mean your hardware is faulty - based on my expierience of the
infiinite loop problem which I have completed solved on my system my
recommendations are to go into BIOS load the fail safe defaults (sometimes
called load setup defaults).

If the problem persists after setting the BIOS settings to their safest

then
one of your memory sticks has gone bad.

In my case I had the problem with the bios fail safe settings then I

swapped
to another stick of ram and no longer had the problem. I tried the suspect
stick of ram in another system and it wouldn`t POST then I rma`ed it and

the
replacement works.

I also had the problem with the good sticks of ram when messing with the
BIOS settings setting them to fail safe rules out this as a possible

cause.

Good Luck.

One other important thing I forgot to mention is after load BIOS fail safe
settings make sure to set the memory clock to exactly the same fsb as your
CPU is running - usually BIOS fail safe will set the ram to SPD which is
automatic so if you had PC2700 in a system with a 133 CPU fsb the ram would
be running out of sync with CPU at 166 - this can cause the infinite loop
problem too.

So load BIOS fail safe settings - set CPU & Memory in sync then start
looking at new ram - I only had 1 ram stick but I suspect it could be more
tricky to isolate with 2 or 3 sticks.