Old April 13th 07, 03:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mike Vajda

Default Cooler recommendations for 8800 GTS?

I recommend you buy an Antec 900 case and move your system into it.
It is about $120 but woth it.

Mike
"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..
Don Burnette wrote:

I recently installed the BFG 8800 GTS 640 mb card.

I am having some airflow issues in my case.

I took the side panel off, and laid a case fan on the back of the card,
tilted down to where it is blowing directly across the back of the card,
toward the rear of the case. It will now successfully make it through 3d
mark 05, but I tried FSX ( MSFS ), it made it a few minutes then locked
up. Previously, before doing this, it would lock up in less than a
minute, in both 3d mark 05 and FSX.

So obviously, I need better cooling. Even my E6600 core temps, came down
app 8C, after removing side panel and putting this fan on the card.

Would appreciate any recommendations!

Thanks,

This is unfortunate considering the BFG 8800 GTS features an OTES
(outboard thermal exhaust system). Designed to prevent this from
happening.

Is your case too small? Cramped or poorly designed? Does your PSU have
both an intake and exhaust fans?

Are you using a heat pipe for your CPU? Does the exhaust from the CPU HSF
point to the rear of the case, where a large case fan is properly moving
the air out the rear of the case?

That you have a fan blowing on the card and it still locks up, while the
case is open, implies more than just thermal management issues. I have a
card that runs at 90-95c, during load with no fans, and it never hiccups.
I would investigate the cause further, to make sure it is solely
temperature related.