Old February 3rd 04, 02:10 AM
Joan Hansen

Cloning to or from an external device
Symantec Ghost 8.0 and Norton Ghost 2003 support USB 1.1 and USB 2
connections for cloning operations that work with an external storage
device. Norton Ghost 2002, Symantec Ghost 7.5, and earlier Ghost
versions do not support cloning over a USB connection to an external
storage device.

For this type of cloning operation, use Symantec Ghost 8.0 or Norton
Ghost 2003 and a Ghost Virtual Partition or the Ghost "USB Devices"
bootable floppy disk. The option "USB Devices" is available only in the
Symantec Ghost 8.0 and Norton Ghost 2003 versions of the Ghost Boot Wizard.

Note: Some problems using USB and Firewire in Norton Ghost 2003 were
resolved in the November 1 2002 update to Ghost. To prevent these
problems, run LiveUpdate to update Norton Ghost 2003 to the latest
version. See the document Updates to Norton Ghost 2003. These problems
are not present in Symantec Ghost 8.0.

I also read where they have not tested USB Devices, so some may not work.

Maybe the above will help. I only use Ghost to image to another
internal hard drive. This way I always have a current back up drive.

Joan

Gus wrote:
I have a Dim 4550 (new 03/2003), Win XP Pro, and am having a problem
cloning my C: drive with Ghost 2003. I'm cloning to an external USB2
HDD. Ghost proceeds normally thru the Windows phase, but hangs in DOS.
The last thing on the monitor is the following message:

"IOMEGA ASPI USB-EHCI 1.0 V.13 09 MAY 2003 COPYRIGHT 2003 IOMEGA CORP"

Seems to hanging in the USB2 driver and I can't figure any way to shake
it loose. Many people here use Ghost so I'm hoping to get some useful
advice. I couldn't find much at the Symantec site, but have tried
different USB ports based on info from there.

My 4550 has 1 GB of RAM and over 100 GB of free space on C: & D: (2 HDDs).

I have no other problems with the USB2 external HDD, BTW. I copy some
other files using Explorer, etc.

TIA