Old February 6th 16, 03:22 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Keith Nuttle

Default USB file formats for HP and Epson

On 2/5/2016 9:47 PM, Dave Boland wrote:
On 02/01/2016 09:16 PM, Dave Boland wrote:
I'm in the process of finding a new printer, and I have been frustrated
by the big box stores inability to demonstrate anything. I noticed that
a number of the printers have USB slots, but what I don't know is what
files they will read and if they can traverse a file system (below).
Does anyone know as I have not been able to find anything from the
manufacturers? My hope is that they can read jpeg and pdf.

The files on the usb drive would be:
/home
/printer test
busletter.pdf
newsletter.pdf
picture.jpg
/other

Thanks,
Dave

As a follow-up to my problem testing printers, I tried things again. The
files were re-created and put on an msdos flash drive. When the usb
drive is placed in the slot of the 8610 (or Epson WE-3640), the devices
recognize the number of files on the drive, but claim they are corrupt
and won't print them. The sales person tried the drive on two different
computers, and the files were fine. Any ideas?

Dave,

I did some research for you on the Epson 3640

This is from the manual
http://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd3/cpd39368.pdf

Quote:
Memory Card and USB Device File Specifications
You can use memory cards and USB devices with your product containing
files that meet these specifications.
File format JPEG with the Exif version 2.3 standard
TIFF 6.0-compliant uncompressed images: RGB full-color or binary
(not CCITT-encoded)
UnQuote:

As you can see the only one of your file fomats recognized by the
printer from a USB drive, is the JPG file format

Your PDF documents will appear as corupt files, as you learned.

As I said my HP 5740 will only recognize the jpg format.

As you learned the sales people know little about the products they are
selling.